SYDNEY, Jan. 29 (Xinhua) -- Floodwaters in Australia's east coast city of Bundaberg are rising slowly, with 75,000 people unable to go back to their homes as the Queensland city is still suffering its worst flood on record, local media reported on Tuesday.
Most of the 7,500 people displaced by the flood have gone to stay with family and friends, while 1,500 residents have stayed in evacuation center across the city, the Australian Associated Press (AAP) reported.
Queensland Premier Campbell Newman was shocked while touring the stricken city by air on Tuesday morning.
"I've seen perhaps even more extraordinary sights than we saw two years ago in southeast Queensland," Newman told reporters.
Newman promised that the Queensland Government would try its best to help the people in Bundaberg.
"This is the number one priority for myself, for my government, to do everything we can for the people of this city," he said.
The wild weather has moved south, leaving extensive flooding across Australia's east coast, according to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).
So far, the death toll from the unfolding flood crisis has climbed to four.
The Clarence River in the city of Grafton in New South Wales is believed to have peaked at midday on Tuesday at a record level of 8.08 meters, just two centimeters below the top of the levee wall, the State Emergency Service says.
Protesters call for pullout of U.S. troops
Heavy snowfall hits London, Britain
Obama and First Lady dance during Inaugural ball
Rally held to welcome Grand Rabbi in Jerusalem
Unforgettable moments you cannot miss in January
The world in photos(2013.1.13-1.20)