|(Photo by Pauline D. Loh/China Daily)|
Ingredients (serves 2):
10g snow fungus, soaked in plenty of water until it blooms
1 snow pear (Nashi pear)
30g mixed apricot kernels (nanbeixing)
Rock sugar to taste
1. Peel and core the pears and cut the fruit into little cubes.
2. Snip the snow fungus into little florets.
3. Heat up 800 ml water in a saucepan and bring to a bowl, add the mixed apricot kernels and pear cubes. Add the snow fungus.
4. Bring to a boil and reduce immediately to a low simmer for about 40 minutes or until the pear and fungus buds are very soft. Add rock sugar to taste.
5. Serve hot for best effect.
Mixed apricot kernels or nanbeixing is a mixture of the larger, sweeter heart-shaped "southern" apricot kernels, and the smaller "northern" kernels with its bitter almond flavor. You can buy the mixture from medicine shops, groceries or from larger supermarkets.
Beijing is in silver and white
Girlhood photos of Chinese stars revealed
A trip to sunshine sanctuary in Beihai
How sweet! Stunning pure ad girls
China's largest 'capsule hotel' opens in Qingdao
La Perla Spring Summer 2013 Lingerises
A young artist's life with wolf cub
Banquets at Diaoyutai State Guesthouse
Olympic medalist Michelle Kwan marries