BEIJING, March 17 (Xinhua) -- The National People's Congress (NPC), China's top legislature, concluded its annual session Sunday morning.
The closing meeting, held at the Great Hall of the People in downtown Beijing, was presided over by Zhang Dejiang, newly-elected chairman of the NPC Standing Committee.
Xi Jinping, newly-elected Chinese President, called for confidence in the socialism with Chinese characteristics and persistent efforts to realize "Chinese dream" in his speech at the meeting.
At Sunday's meeting, the NPC adopted a number of important documents, including the government work report, the central and local budgets and the national economic and social development plan for 2013.
It also adopted the work reports of the 11th NPC Standing Committee, the Supreme People's Court and the Supreme People's Procuratorate.
Highlights of the Closing Session of the 1st Session of the 12th NPC:
• Xi vows to fulfill duties as China's president
• President Xi salutes his predecessor Hu Jintao
• Top legislator vows to promote socialist democracy, rule of law
• President vows to press ahead with ‘Chinese dream’
• President Xi pledges resolute fight against corruption