Death toll in Wednesday's colliery blast in Panzhihua city, in Southwest China's Sichuan province has climbed to 44, according to authorities with the city government on Sunday.
Mine blast toll climbs to 43 in SW China
The death toll in last week's gas explosion in Southwest China's Sichuan province has risen to 43 as more bodies were retrieved on Saturday, said Yang Dongliang, head of the State Administration of Work Safety.
He made the remarks in a plenary session of the State Council investigation group probing the explosion that took place around 5 pm on Wednesday in the Xiaojiawan Coal Mine in Panzhihua, Sichuan.
Leading officials from the State Administration of Coal Mine Safety, National Energy Administration and Supreme People's Procuratorate attended the session, as well as those from the Sichuan provincial government.
A total of 154 miners were on the site when the explosion occurred at the mine; 108 survived the explosion, while three miners were still trapped underground on Saturday.
"No efforts will be spared to search for them if there is even a glimmer of hope," said Yang, who attributed the tragedy to irregularities on the part of the mine owner.
He said the Zhengjin Industry and Trade Company, which owns the mine, had submitted gas tests from a better-ventilated site to meet safety standards.
【1】 【2】 【3】
News we recommend