BEIJING, Jan. 28 (Xinhua) -- A nationwide campaign was launched in China on Monday to reduce potential fire risks in public buildings in the wake of a Brazilian nightclub blaze that claimed at least 230 lives.
Firefighters at all levels were urged to examine and reduce fire risks at casinos, shopping malls and hotels, according to the Fire-fighting Bureau under the Ministry of Public Security.
The ministry said buildings with insufficient emergency exits or fire-fighting equipment should rectify their prevention facilities or face closure.
The campaign will also aim to curb the illegal use of flammable decorations in public places.
The fire in Brazil was reportedly caused by a band's pyrotechnics show, which ignited flammable sound insulating material on the ceiling of the nightclub.
Similar blazes have occurred in China.
In 2007, a nightclub fire killed 12 and injured six others in east China's Jiangxi Province. The blaze was caused by fireworks set off outside the nightclub during the Mid-Autumn Festival.
A similar fire in the city of Shenzhen in south China's Guangdong Province in 2008 killed 44 and injured 64.
Photos: Chinese Style in 2012
Aged ladies' dancing dream
China’s weekly story (2013.01.09-01.19)
Heartbreaking farewell to hero schoolmaster
9-year-old girl holds up a family
Living in Beijing on monthly income of 10,000 yuan
Who has stolen our air quality?
'Children's weddings' held in kindergarten
Photos: Cities and villages surrounded by pollution