|Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hong Lei held a press conference on January 21, 2013.(Photo/ Foreign Ministry of China)|
BEIJING, Jan. 21 (People's Daily Online) -- No Chinese citizens were involved in the Algerian hostage crisis, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said Monday.
China condemns those responsible for kidnapping people and holding them hostage, Hong told a daily press briefing.
"We urge the international community to strengthen cooperation in the common effort to strike terrorism," he said.
On Thursday, the Algerian Special Forces stormed a gas field facility to free hostages that had been held there by an armed group since Wednesday.
The operation, which ended on Saturday, left at least 23 workers dead and saw the release of 685 Algerians and 107 foreigners, according to preliminary figures from the Algerian Interior Ministry.
Thirty-two members of the Algerian Special Forces died in the operation, the source added.
The world needs common development of China, India
More than "putting out the fire" in Africa
Encircling China just Japan's wishful thinking
Philippines moves in wrong direction
Unleash 'China energy' in global governance
Former Japanese PM apologizes for wartime crimes