BEIJING, Aug. 15 (Xinhua) -- Countries and international organizations around the world condemned or expressed concern over the deadly violence in Egypt, urging Egyptian political parties to exercise restraint to avoid further escalation.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Wednesday strongly condemned the use of force against protestors in Cairo and said "violence and incitement from any side are not the answers to the challenges Egypt faces."
The secretary-general made the remarks in a statement after Egyptian security forces began clearing two protest camps in Cairo, which were established by supporters of the ousted Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi.
Ban condemned in the strongest terms the violence in Cairo that occurred when Egyptian security services used force to clear Cairo of sit-ins and demonstrations, according to a statement issued by his spokesman.
"While recognizing that political clocks do not run backwards, the secretary-general also believes firmly that violence and incitement from any side are not the answers to the challenges Egypt faces," the statement noted.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Wednesday denounced the latest violence and bloodshed in Egypt, calling it a "serious blow" to the reconciliation efforts in the country.
"It's a serious blow to reconciliation and the Egyptian people's hopes for a transition towards democracy and inclusion," the top U.S. envoy told a daily news briefing in Washington.
Kerry also opposed Egypt's return to a state of emergency law. However, he expressed confidence that a political solution is still "open" and "possible" based on his phone conversations with the foreign ministers of Egypt and other countries on Wednesday.
White House spokesman Josh Earnest issued a statement earlier Wednesday, denouncing the violent crackdown on protesters and urging all parties in Egypt to refrain from violence and resolve their differences "peacefully."
NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Ramussen on Wednesday voiced deep concern over the situation in Egypt and called on all sides to exercise restraint.
"I am deeply concerned by the situation in Egypt, and the continuing reports of bloodshed. I deplore the loss of life," Rasmussen said in a brief statement.
"Egypt is an important partner for NATO through the Mediterranean Dialogue. I call on all sides to exercise restraint and refrain from violence and to work to restore the political process," the statement concluded.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius on Wednesday urged all parties in Egypt to avoid escalation of confrontation and to bring peace back by dialogue.
"France strongly condemns the bloody violence that occurred in Egypt and calls for an immediate end to the repression," said the foreign ministry.
In a statement released on Wednesday afternoon, the ministry said Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius shall inform the UN secretary-general and France's key partners to "take an international emergency position in this direction."
The South African government on Wednesday strongly condemned the use of force by Egyptian security forces to disperse demonstrators in Cairo.
"The tragic loss of Egyptian life takes Egypt further from the democratic aspirations expressed by the millions of Egyptians who voted last year," said Clayson Monyela, spokesperson of the International Relations and Cooperation Ministry.
Monyela urged the military-backed interim government in Egypt to exercise restraint.
"It is of vital importance for Egyptians to embrace the spirit of national reconciliation and bring about peace and stability in that country," Monyela said.
The Egyptian military ousted Morsi in early July, one year after he was sworn in as Egypt's president. The move plunged the country into political chaos.
Russia on Wednesday called on all political forces in Egypt to exercise restraint as nationwide violence broke out after the crackdown on Morsi's supporters.
"In the difficult period Egypt is experiencing, we reconfirm our urge to all political forces in that friendly country to exercise restraint and moderation and to be guided by supreme national interests," Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
Russia appealed to Egyptians not to further escalate the tension, noting that democratic renewal and deep reforms in the interest of all Egyptians could be secured through wide dialogue and resumption of political process based on national accord.
The European Union (EU) called for restraint from all sides.
Peter Stano, spokesman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, said the EU was following the situation with "great concern."
"Confrontation and violence are not the way forward," Stano said. "We are urging strongly all parties to exercise maximum restraint."
The head of the European Parliament, Martin Schulz, said in a separate statement that the reported casualties were "not acceptable."
"It's the government's responsibility to find a peaceful and fair solution to the current crisis toward political process and reconciliation," he said.
UAE official news agency WAM said the Emirati foreign ministry expressed fully understanding for procedures taken by the Egyptian authorities, and urged all Egyptians to avoid violence and hold a national dialogue for activating the future roadmap.
Iran's Foreign Ministry strongly condemned what it referred to as "killing" of the Egyptian people.
"Disapproving the violent encounters and killing of the (Egyptian) people, Iran expresses deep concerns about its repercussions," the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
Current developments in Egypt may lead to a civilian war in the big Islamic country of Egypt, the statement said, calling on the parties involved in Egypt's conflict for a restraint and dialogue.
The statement warned Egypt's conflicts are likely to have "dangerous consequences" for the region already in crisis.
Canada's Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird urged all parties in Egypt to avoid violence and engage in a dialogue to achieve interest of people.
Baird also expressed concern over the violence and called on Egypt to implement much-needed changes to ease tensions.
Turkish President Abdullah Gul on Wednesday warned that Egypt's fate could be the same as Syria, saying the Syrian crisis just began when security forces fired on civilian protesters.