CAIRO, Aug. 15 -- At least 343 people were killed across Egypt in clashes between supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi and the security troops, after the latter dispersed on Wednesday two major pro-Morsi sit-in sites in the country, the Health Ministry said Thursday.
The announced death toll has risen by over 100 after Wednesday evening's figure given by the Health Ministry showed at least 235 people were killed and over 2,000 injured in the nationwide clashes.
The Health Ministry said late Wednesday that 43 policemen were killed in the confrontations.
The Egyptian security forces started Wednesday dawn the cleaning-up operation at Rabaa al-Adawiya Square in Cairo's Nasr City and Nahda Square in Giza. The pro-Morsi protesters had been sitting in there for some 45 days.
After the deadly clashes, the Egyptian interim presidency announced on Wednesday a state of emergency nationwide for one month, while the cabinet imposed curfew on turmoil governorates including the capital Cairo, Giza and Alexandria.
Moreover, Egypt's interim Vice President for International Relations, Mohamed ElBaradei, offered his resignation after Wednesday's violence, saying he is no longer able to bear responsibility for any drop of blood or decisions he does not agree with and that he is quite concerned about their consequences.